Staff RN - Medical - Surgical
Company: Providence Health & Services
Posted on: August 5, 2022
We are looking for a Staff Registered Nurse for the
Medical-Surgical Second Floor Department at St. Joseph Hospital
Eureka. Apply Today! Applicants that meet qualifications will
receive a text with some additional questions from our Modern Hire
system. Location: Eureka, CA Work Schedule: Full Time - 72 Biweekly
Hours Shift: 12-hour, Days Job Summary: The Registered Nurse
employs intellectual, interpersonal and technical skills through
the utilization of the nursing process to assist patients of
various ages in achieving maximum health potential. The Registered
Nurse functions as a health team member through independent,
interdependent and dependent roles within the health care system.
Serving as the patient's advocate, the RN assumes responsibility
and accountability for nursing care for patients of various ages as
defined by the department scope of service. Essential
- Nursing Process:
- Assessment: gathers and interprets data relevant to patient
- Planning: Sets care priorities appropriately for Plan of Care
based on patient condition, age, and developmental status. Involves
patient, significant others and health team members.
- Implementation: Implements Plan of Care according to identified
need. Advocates for patient. Performs re-assessment as per policies
and nursing processes.
- Medications: Prepares and administers medication accurately,
safely and according to policy.
- Pain Management: Consistently evaluates and addresses patient
comfort in accordance with policy and individual patient
- Patient Education: Explains treatments and procedures. Provides
information to promote recovery and wellness. Assures that patient
and family receive education to promote recovery and wellness
during hospitalization and essential skills for safe self care
- Evaluation: Effectively recognizes changes in condition and
- Technical Skills and Knowledge: Demonstrates competency in
technical skills and use of department specific protocols and/or
procedures, equipment and troubleshooting, etc. (e.g., care of
ventilated patient, chemotherapy administration, wound care,
cardiac monitoring, and pediatrics).
- Patient Related Communications:
- Communicates necessary patient information in hand offs and
bedside report to receiving staff and/or unit. Communicates
necessary information and plan of care to patients, families, and
staff using the communication board.
- Effectively coordinates and/or facilitates admission and
- Documents legibly and concisely, using appropriate forms and
technology; adheres to documentation policies and guidelines.
- Keeps Supervisor and Physician informed of potential/actual
critical or emergent situations.
- Patient Related Safety and Infection Control:
- Maintains a safe environment for the patient: adheres to safety
measures for at risk groups, e.g. fall risk, restraints, suicide,
- Demonstrates correct 'hand hygiene' practices; adheres to
standard precautions and isolation techniques. Disinfects equipment
after each patient use.
- Demonstrates knowledge and practice of Patient Safety
initiatives in accordance with The Joint Commission standards, e.g.
'procedural time out, two identifiers, BMV, etc. (National Patient
- QUALITY IMPROVEMENT:
- Resource Utilization: Ensures that appropriate supplies and
equipment are available, accounted for and used in a cost-effective
- Organizes, prioritizes and completes activities and assignments
in an efficient manner. Demonstrates initiative in assisting others
and performing other duties based on skill level and training
- Delegates tasks based on the legal scope of practice and
effectively supervises nursing care being given. Uses all work time
productively in work-related activities.
- Participates in department problem solving, suggests
improvements and facilitates change. CQI involvement on
- Safety of Self and Others: Maintains a safe work environment.
Identifies safety risks and reports such appropriately. Utilizes
correct body mechanics, personal protective equipment and
demonstrates other personal safety practices. Skills:
- Ability to ensure patient confidence and comfort.
- Efficiently communicates with SJH-HC physicians, customers and
employees, both in person and by telephone.
- Reads and comprehends written instructions, able to interpret
medical orders, correspondence, memorandums, and medical
- Applies deductive and common sense reasoning ability to problem
solve on a frequent basis.
- Initiative and the ability to make independent judgments.
Minimum Position Requirements: Education : Graduate of an
accredited nursing school or Proof of licensure by the state of
- State of California as a Registered Nurse.
- Current CPR certification (American Heart Association BLS
Provider, American Red Cross Professional Rescuer, Fire Department
Medical Provider course). Preferred Position Qualifications:
Experience : Acute care or specialty experience. National
Geographic Traveler calls Humboldt County one of the world's top
ten great places while the USDA declares this area to be "America's
Most Scenic Rural County." It's also home for St. Joseph Hospital,
located in Eureka and serving the community since 1920. We're a
full-service, state-of-the-art facility with 145 licensed beds
including a 15-bed Acute Rehab Unit. Redwood Memorial Hospital is
located in the Eel River Valley in the southern part of Humboldt
County. Redwood Memorial Hospital fosters a healing and welcoming
environment by taking a holistic, patient-centered approach to
medicine. To learn more about our facilities and all Humboldt
County has to offer, please visit: www.stjosepheureka.org St.
Joseph Hospital provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to
all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
In addition to federal law requirements, St. Joseph Hospital
complies with applicable state and local laws governing
nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the
company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and
conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement,
promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of
absence, compensation and training. Positions specified as "on
call/per diem" refers to employment consisting of shifts scheduled
on as "as needed basis" to fill in for staff vacancies. Company:
Humboldt County Entities Category: Medical/Surgical Nursing Req ID:
Keywords: Providence Health & Services, Redding , Staff RN - Medical - Surgical, Healthcare , Eureka, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!